I’ve bought Rice Krispies treats many years ago in the package and then I learned the extremely simple recipe that I will share with you. Now I just make them at home in a few minutes and everyone loves them. 🙂 Bonus – almost no packaging to throw away, excluding your marshmallow bag! I’m just all for natural ingredients lately with no preservatives, fake coloring or flavors, additives.
RICE KRISPIES TREATS: “Ingredients: TOASTED RICE CEREAL (RICE, SUGAR, SALT, MALT FLAVORING, NIACINAMIDE, REDUCED IRON, RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), MARSHMALLOW (CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, GELATIN, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR), FRUCTOSE, MARGARINE (VEGETABLE OIL [SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL WITH TBHQ FOR FRESHNESS], WATER, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL BUTTER FLAVOR [CONTAINS MILK], DATEM, ACETYLATED MONOGLYCERIDES, BHT FOR FRESHNESS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D), CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF DEXTROSE, GLYCERIN, SALT, NIACINAMIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), SOY LECITHIN.“
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 cups mini marshallows (10 oz. regular bag)
- 6 cups Rice Krispie, or generic, cereal
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I used minis).
- Optional: other chocolate chip flavors, M&M mini candies on top, use your imagination or leave then plain!
- Spray a 13″ x 9″ pan with nonstick spray, set aside.
- Have all your ingredients measured and in bowls, ready to go. This recipe goes quickly and mise en place is critical.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add mini marshmallows and continue to stir until they have completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the cereal, coating them well with the melted marshmallow mixture.
- Add mini chocolate chips, mix well. Add other ingredients or toppings as desired.
- Cut into squares once the mixture slightly cools (about 10 minutes), but before it really hardens!
- Before I receive hate mail, I’ll tell you step 8 is very important. Put your pan under warm water with some soap to soften the mess. 🙂