I haven’t updated in a while, I guess winter causing us to be perpetually ill doesn’t help. I’ve always wanted to make a stromboli! It just sounds awesome. I finally got around to it and make a simple stromboli recipe from Better Homes and Gardens. It was perfect. We made our own quick pizza dough from scratch, but you can buy a refrigerated dough if you like. We will definitely make this again and substitute other ingredients like pancetta, salami, and other meats and veggies!
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 T. cornmeal
- One 13.8oz. package refrigerated pizza dough (or your favorite recipe from scratch)
- 4 oz. thinly sliced cooked ham (we used deli ham)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- 1 cup fresh baby or torn regular spinach
- 4 oz. thinly sliced cooked turkey (we used deli turkey)
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped (we omitted)
- 1/3 cup chopped red, green, or yellow sweet pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (we omitted and did vegetable oil)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly brush a baking sheet with olive oil and sprinkle with cornmeal; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface carefully stretch or roll pizza dough into a 13×10″ rectangle.
- Arrange ham slices on dough about 1/2″ from edges.
- Sprinkle with half the cheese.
- Layer spinach and turkey on cheese.
- Top with remaining cheeses, olives, and sweet peppers.
- Roll up dough, starting from a long side. Pinch dough to seal the seam and ends.
- Place loaf, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet. Brush with egg or vegetable oil.
- Using a sharp knife, cut slits in top for steam to escape.
- Bake about 30 mins. or until golden brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes. To serve, slice loaf into serving size pieces.