We made these popcorn balls coincidentally around Valentine’s Day and it was serendipitous. They come together fast and are more forgiving than Rice Krispie treats that harden faster than you can stir! The marshmallow mixture stays pliable for a while.
We made the popcorn in our air popper and had to make two batches.
We used unflavored peanuts – just plain works well here. No one wants garlic/onion flavored popcorn balls. If you do, I don’t know you anymore!
You can add toasted slivered almonds or chopped peanuts too. I love adding chopped peanuts – about 1/2 to 3/4 cup is perfect.
- Cooking spray
- 14 heaping cups plain popped popcorn
- 6 TBSP. unsalted butter
- One 10.5 oz. package mini marshmallows
- 2 TBSP. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, IF TOLERATED
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup chopped salted peanuts or toasted slivered almonds, optional but great
- Sprinkles! Red, blue and white for 4th of July? Red and green for Christmas? FUN!, optional
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup plain chopped peanuts, optional
- Remove any un-popped kernels from the popped popcorn. Lightly grease a large mixing bowl with cooking spray and add popcorn, set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add marshmallows, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, and cook stirring, until marshmallows have melted and mixture is smooth, 4-5 minutes.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over popcorn, along with peanuts (or almonds), if desired.
- Mix with 2 lightly greased rubber spatulas until popcorn is evenly coated.
- Using clean, greased hands, form mixture into 2 1/2 inch balls.
- Eat immediately or wrap each ball tightly in plastic and keep up to 5-7 days.