I saw this recipe in passing and had three spare apples on hand and just went for it. It’s a great way to get that apple pie taste without all the fat and carbs of that double pie crust. It’s extremely simple and the half recipe I made fit perfectly in my Le Creuset mini casserole dish. We enjoyed this as a sweet side to our dinner, but we could also definitely see it as a topping for pure vanilla ice cream. I used our apple staple – Galas! From the PBS website.
- 2 lbs apples (either Cortland or Gala for best results), cored and chopped
- 2 tsp cinnamon**
- juice of 1 lemon**
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (I reduced the sugar as the apples release their sweetness as well).
**Known IC irritants, tread carefully!
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss the chopped apples with the cinnamon, lemon juice, and brown sugar and place in a baking or casserole dish.
- Cook apples, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes until soft and juicy. Serve for dessert with ice cream or with roast meat for dinner.