We make this recipe when we want a cup of hot cocoa that a) doesn’t have preservatives, b) fake sweeteners, and c) doesn’t taste weird. It takes a few minutes but the flavor is really worth it.
One note about this recipe, though, it states it makes three 6 oz. servings, but in reality, one recipe yields about two servings at best. We always double this recipe for three people. The recipe below serves approximately 2 people. No one wants to have a small cup of hot cocoa…especially after smelling this recipe!
INGREDIENTS: (for approximately 2 people)
- 2 tablespoons Hershey’s cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- dash of salt
- 1/4 cup hot water (doesn’t need to be boiling)
- 1 1/2 cup milk (any percentage is fine, I used 2%)
- marshmallows, if desired.
- Blend the cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Gradually add the hot water.
- Boil over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally. (Do not boil).
- Remove from heat and whisk until foamy.
- Serve hot – top with marshmallows, if desired.