THIS IS AN AMAZING SOURDOUGH BREAD. It tastes professional! I had always wanted to make sourdough bread, but I let cooking fear get the best of me, and I put it off for years. After ‘mastering’ other yeast recipes, I gained the courage to try this recipe, which honestly looked a lot easier than other sourdough bread recipes! I only had to simplify one step (the tea towel step) because the last thing you want is dough on a towel – I speak from experience – it’s a pain to launder, if you can! So I came up with my own step (using sprayed plastic wrap). ENJOY!
- 17 1/2 ounces bread flour, plus extra for shaping later (Don’t sub any other flour, I weighed the flour).
- 1/4 tsp. active-dry yeast
- 2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 12 ounces filtered water, (room temp is just fine)
- 2 T. cornmeal
- Nonstick spray, like PAM
- Whisk together the flour, yeast, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the water and stir until combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to sit at room temperature for 19 hours. (Yes, it’s a waiting game, so plan ahead. But remember you don’t even need to check on it during this stage!)
- After 19 hours, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Punch down the dough with your fist (to release trapped air) and turn it over onto itself a couple of times.
- Cover with nonstick-sprayed plastic wrap, or a clean tea towel, and allow to rest 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, shape the dough into a ball. Coat hands with flour, if needed, to prevent sticking.
- Sprinkle the nonstick-sprayed plastic wrap with half of the cornmeal and lay the dough on top of it, seam side down.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with the other half of the cornmeal and cover with nonstick-sprayed plastic wrap, or a clean tea towel (see my second photo for details!)
- Allow to rise for another 2-3 hours, or until the dough has approximately doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising the second time, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place a 4-5 QT. Dutch oven in the oven while it preheats.
- Once the dough is ready, VERY carefully transfer it to the pre-heated Dutch oven. Please remember that Dutch oven is HOT!!
- Cover with lid and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake until the bread reaches an internal temp. of 210-212 degrees F (use a digital thermometer), another 15 minutes.
- Transfer the bread to a cooking rack and allow to cool at least 15 minutes before serving.