This is a must! This soup actually has a lot of flavor and you will enjoy it! Give it a try! I added potatoes for extra flavor and bulk – it turned out to be a good decision!
- 1/2 onion chopped*
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock (or made from scratch)*
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- (OPTIONAL – add 3 small Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cubed)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt, if desired
*Onion and chicken stock can be irritating to a sensitive bladder. I use the least amount of onion possible and I make sure I’m either using homemade chicken stock or organic high quality chicken stock that doesn’t include soy or other irritant ingredients.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion in hot butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk 1/4 cup melted butter and flour together in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; cook until flour loses it’s granular texture, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk if necessary to keep the flour from burning, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gradually pour milk into flour mixture while whisking constantly. Stir chicken stock into milk mixture. Bring to a simmer; cook until flour taste is gone and mixture is thickened, about 20 minutes. Add broccoli, carrots, sauteed onion, and celery, (add optional potatoes here!); simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir Cheddar cheese into vegetable mixture until cheese melts. Season with salt if desired.
Hi Tiffany! I just found your treasure trove of IC recipes and I love them! I can’t wait to try them. Thanks for all your hard work in putting this together. It does give hope for those of us dealing with IC. I look forward to all your new post as well.
This is a keeper! And so easy. I made this exactly by your recipe, except for the cheese. I can’t tolerate cheddar cheese, so I used Colby-Monterey Jack. Soooo yummy! It turned out wonderful Thanks for sharing.
Hi Ann, you are very welcome. No problem with the cheese, almost any cheese can work well here. 🙂 enjoy!
Thanks for sharing this recipe.I am newly diagnosed with IC just trying to find some recipes to get started.my dr gave me a IC diet to follow.
Hi Janine, sorry for the delay. 🙂 My messages were going to spam. I am sorry about your diagnosis.
In this recipe, please be careful with the asterik’ed items: onions, chicken stock etc. As you may know by now, IC’s food restrictions are different for each patient.
Please note as well: My IC was Dx in 2012. Since then it’s considerably worsened so if you go back to old recipes, they may have tomatoes, vinegar, etc (irritants), now I can’t have any of those. So please be very careful testing anything, I’d hate for you to have a flare. Please message me if you have questions, I’ll do my best.