Here’s a beef and barley soup that is simple to make and little work in the slow cooker! It’s only six ingredients! It’s delicious and very easy to throw together in the morning and have dinner steamy and tasty by evening.
If your I.C. bladder is extremely sensitive, you can definitely make your own beef broth and use safe seasoning. Maybe for you that might be onion flakes or powder, garlic powder, and parsley. Edit the recipe to make it safe for you! 🙂
For the ground beef I usually use 85-90% lean.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 3 (14 oz.) cans beef broth or homemade (approx. 6 cups of broth)**
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery (chop up the celery leaves too!)
- 1-2 tsp. of your favorite seasoning, IF tolerated
Update 3/2018: I had to stop using beef bouillon as I found out it was highly irritating to me, it had soy ingredients in it. So I either have to make my own stock or find a soy and irritant free one.
- In skillet, brown ground beef, drain and transfer to 5 quart slow cooker.
- Add beef broth, barley, carrots, celery, and seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours depending on your slow cooker’s past performance. (For myself, it was 6 hours on low).