This is an awesome recipe for a very savory, flavored stuffing all made in your slow cooker! No bland Stove Top stuffing here, this is very flavored and awesome. If you like super plain stuffing, look elsewhere. Easy and wonderful – give it a try when that boxed mix bores you! From Food.com #49609.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup diced tart apple, peeled and cored (I used Granny Smith)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon savory
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 12 cups lightly toasted bread, cubes (For me this ended up being 16 slices, or a loaf, of wheat bread)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
In a large fry pan saute onions, celery and apple in butter until onion is just translucent.
Stir in sage, marjoram, salt, pepper, savory and thyme.
Combine vegetable mixture with the bread cubes and parsley.
Pour stock over mixture, tossing well.
Spoon into your crock-pot.
Cover and cook on high for one hour.
Reduce to low and continue cooking for 2-3 hours, stirring every hour.
As stated, for Vegetarians you can use vegetable stock.