This is a cool recipe I found in my CrockPot slow cooker book that I love. It takes your classic sloppy joe ingredients and adds flavorful, easy add-ins like baked beans, bell pepper, and BBQ sauce. It’s really better than I thought it’d be and very yummy! It’s extremely simple – look at the directions! This is one you could throw together in the morning in about 10-15 minutes and have a scrumptious meal come dinner time. We’ll definitely make this again!
Makes 4-6 servings.
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion (or use powder)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed (or use powder)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 T. cider vinegar
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T. packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 can (8 oz.) baked beans
- 6 kaiser rolls, split and warmed
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional, but great!)
- Brown ground beef, onion, bell pepper, and garlic 6-8 minutes in large skillet, stirring to break up meat. Drain and discard excess fat. Transfer beef mixture to slow cooker.
- Combine ketchup, BBQ sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and chili powder in small bowl. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add baked beans. Stir well to combine. Cover, cook on HIGH 3 hours. (I did low and it was fine).
- To serve, fill split rolls with 1/2 cup sloppy joe mixture. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired, before topping sandwich with roll lid.