This is a really tasty black bean soup that is vegetarian. It is healthy and hearty but it’s on the lighter side since it doesn’t have meat. My husband and I love it! I used green onions and garlic powder. Plain or topped with sour cream and cilantro works well too! Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped (ONION POWDER IS FINE, OR GREEN ONIONS)**
- 1 clove garlic, minced (GARLIC POWDER IS FINE)
- (You can add other veggies like celery and green pepper like I have and it works wonderfully).
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder**
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (I USED 1/2 TSP)**
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained (I USED LOW SODIUM)**
- 1 (8.75 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper**
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes**
**Known IC irritants, tread carefully!
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, and carrots, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add chili powder and cumin; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add stock, 1 can of the beans, corn, and pepper; bring to boil.
- Meanwhile, in food processor or blender, puree together tomatoes and remaining can of beans; add to pot.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until carrots are tender.