We really love this savory recipe! It’s basically everything that’s great about stuffed pepper soup with less work. The original recipe called for 2 cups raw rice, but after making this recipe with 1 cup raw rice, you will find it is more than enough! ENJOY!
398 cals 5.6g fat (1.9g saturated) (without cheese)
- 1lb LEAN ground beef
- 1 lg onion, diced (WE USED ONION POWDER)
- 1 cup white or wild rice
- 1 14.5 oz. can Hunts flavored diced tomatoes (Red pepper and fennel, roasted garlic, sweet onion etc) (I USED PLAIN JUST FINE)
- 1 can tomato sauce (14.5oz can)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 box chicken stock (32oz)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp powdered beef stock
- 3 bell peppers, any color
- Cheese for topping (optional)
- Fresh cracked black pepper for garnish (optional)
- In a large soup pot coated with cooking spray, over medium-high heat, brown the grown beef with the onions and rice. I know that sounds odd, but browning the rice gives it a nice nutty flavor – do not allow it to burn!
- Meanwhile dice your peppers into small ½” pieces, set side.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, chicken stock, water, and powdered beef stock, then allow it to come to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and allow it to cook 20 minutes then add the peppers and allow it to cook another 20-30 minutes (some types of rice may need longer cooking times).
- Serve with cheese on top (optional).