This recipe is from “Cook This, Not That” Cookbook (2010), which I got from the library. This salad is A+! Instead of T.G.I. Friday’s Sante Fe Chopped salad, which has 1,800 calories!!, they came up with this similar recipe that saves 1,460 calories! I loved this salad so much I need to make it soon! Even though I omitted the onion, jalapeno, and the chipotle pepper, I found it so tasty!
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 4 small Roma tomatoes, chopped**
- 1 red onion, diced**
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced**
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro**
- Juice of 1 lime**
- 8 oz. flank steak
- salt and black pepper**
- 1/2 Tablespoon red wine vinegar**
- 1 tsp. canned chipotle pepper (I didn’t find this necessary)**
- 1/2 Tablespoon honey
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 can (14-16 oz) black beans, drained**
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
**Known IC irritants, tread carefully!
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Place the tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 mins, until lightly brown and crispy. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and half the lime juice. Set the salsa aside.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Once the grill or grill pan is heated, toss on the steak. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side, depending on thickness, until firm but yielding. Let the steak rest for 5 mins before slicing it thinly against the grain of meat.
- Combine the remaining lime juice with the vinegar, chipotle, and honey. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking to combine. Toss the lettuce with enough vinaigrette to lightly coat, then divide among 4 plates.
- Top each serving with slices of steak, black beans, avocado, salsa, and a few tortilla strips.