I just made this simple frittata. When you feel like taking it easy or avoiding the carbs of a quiche crust, this is perfect. There are so many combinations for meats, cheeses, and veggies here, it’s all up to your preferences. This is from my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. I used chopped cooked ham, swiss and shredded cheddar cheese, and 2 cups mixture of broccoli, and four colors of sweet bell peppers)! ENJOY!
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 T. snipped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper (freshly ground is best)
- 2 T. olive oil (Use the full amount here)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh veggies, such as summer squash, broccoli, roma tomatoes, and/or sweet peppers.
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions (about 3)
- 1/2 cup chopped COOKED ham, kielbasa, chicken or turkey, or crumbled cooked pork sausage
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Swiss cheese (about 2 oz)
- In a large Pyrex or bowl, combine eggs, basil, salt, and black pepper – set aside.
- Heat oil in a large boilerproof skillet – I used a 10″ steel skillet. Add veggies and green onions. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat about 5 minutes or until veggies are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in meat.
- Pour egg mixture that was set aside, over veggie mixture in skillet. Cook over medium heat.
- As mixture sets, run a spatula around edge of skillet, lifting egg mixture so uncooked portion flows underneath.
- Continue cooking and lifting edges until egg mixture is almost set (surface will be moist).
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Preheat broiler. Place skillet under broiler, 4-5″ from heat. Broil 1-2 mins or until top is just set and cheese melts. (Or preheat oven to 400, bake for 5 mins until top is set).