I like this recipe because it is so fast, simple, and tastes like an elephant ear without being deep fat fried! Or, if you’re very picky, it tastes similar to an elephant ear from the fair! That amount of sugar and cinnamon mixture yielded us about 3-4 tortilla toppings, but it will depend on how much topping you like. I like to brush on a little honey to keep the sugar/cinnamon mixture sticking to the tortilla. You want a fairly medium to high heat here to make the tortilla puff up a little and brown, otherwise it just tastes like a regular tortilla!
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons regular white sugar
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon **
- vegetable oil for frying (use your judgement)
- 1 (7 inch) white flour tortilla
**Known IC irritants, tread carefully! To make this IC safe remove the awesome cinnamon. I know, I’m sorry!
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl or large plate, set aside.
- In a skillet, heat some vegetable oil. Place one tortilla at a time in skillet. Cook for 5 seconds or until brown in spots on one side. Turn and cook 10 seconds longer, or until browned on the other side.
- Brush with honey if desired.
- Place in sugar mixture and turn to coat.
- Serve immediately.