This was a nice healthy recipe that also tasted good. I liked how it used whole wheat flour, milled flax seed, and raisin bran (cereal) to add fiber and nutrition. Thanks to my sister-in-law, Ann, for telling me about it. The only changes I’d make a second time around is to further reduce the nutmeg and cloves, even though I already reduced them. Next time I’d just do a dash of each, they can be overpowering to me. I used butter instead of margarine with no ill effects too Otherwise, great recipe!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30-45 minutes
Servings: Makes 10 muffins
- 1 1/4 cup raisin bran**
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg**
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves**
- 1 tablespoon milled flax seed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
**To make this IC safe, maybe replace with plain bran. Make sure it doesn’t have cinnamon, a known irritant, or other irritants in it.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine dry ingredients into large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients into smaller bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins up to the lip of the tin.
- Bake 15-30 minutes, depending on altitude (the higher the altitude, the longer you’ll need to cook them).
To keep the ultimate amount of moisture while storing, place the muffins into a ziplock bag immediately after removing them from the oven (while still piping hot).
Note: If you don’t have flax seed, add another egg and don’t add the 3 tablespoons of water.
Note: The brown sugar can be substituted with the same amount of maple syrup.
Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/APPLE-RAISIN-BRAN-MUFFINS-WITH-FLAX-SEED-1275965#ixzz2jghlvNME