This is an excellent French toast casserole for breakfast or brunch. It’s crispy on the top but just enough softness inside – NOT too gooey inside as that’s a pet peeve of mine for any French toast product. I found this recipe in a French toast ebook. Yes, French toast ebooks exist; c’mon get with the times! LOL It is fantastic. I’d say it will give you four servings if you’re famished and six servings if you appear to eat normally, or are eating it with something else. Enjoy!
- 5 cups bread cubes
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 1/4 cup white sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 T. margarine or butter, softened
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly butter a 8×8″ baking pan. (I used a 9″ round!)
- Line bottom of pan with bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, 2 T. sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture over bread.
- Dot with margarine/butter. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine remaining 2 T. sugar with 1 tsp. cinnamon and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven about 45-50 minutes, until top is golden.