I haven’t uploaded a recipe in a while, it’s been an extremely busy few weeks of school and life.
This is a wonderful soup, it’s hearty and tasty. It’s filling with the barley. Feel free to add more veggies, including your favorites. It’s actually best on day two and beyond. In the summer, we’ve actually grilled the meat and then sliced it up and put it in the soup!
- 1/2 lb. cooked shredded beef (I use peppersteak or a similar thin steak sliced up)
- 1 medium onion diced (I use onion powder)
- 1-2 ribs celery, diced
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 16-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup pearl barley (I use the slow cooking barley, not the quick one)
- salt and pepper to taste
- FEEL FREE TO ADD: dried oregano, pre-cooked green beans (we did!), or any other veggies, or more of the mentioned veggies!
- In a large soup pot, combine beef, onion, celery, green pepper, carrot, and tomatoes. Cook over med-high heat, stirring constantly, 3 minutes.
- Add bay leaves and broth, bring to a boil.
- Stir in barley, continue boiling 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook 1 hour. Stir and check liquid level frequently.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.