This was one of those recipes that I was so proud of myself for completing! This is a confidence building recipe for sure! Follow the directions exactly and you should have no problems…I used all purple flour. This recipe is from my older book, “Betty Crocker Cookbook, New Edition” (c) 2005. I used cooking spray in step #8. I promise it is FUN! My favorite photo is the one at the bottom of the page.
- 3 to 3 1/4 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package regular or quick active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup very warm water (120° to 130°F)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Butter or margarine, melted, if desired
- In large bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the sugar, salt and yeast. Add warm water and oil. Beat with electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently.
- Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently.
- Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and springy. (I used my Kitchenaid for this step).
- Grease large bowl with shortening. Place dough in bowl, turning dough to grease all sides. (At this point, dough can be refrigerated up to 24 hours).
- Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- Lightly grease cookie sheet with shortening or spray with cooking spray.
- After pushing fist into dough, divide into 3 equal parts. Roll each part into 14-inch rope (use a ruler).
- Place ropes close together on cookie sheet. Braid ropes gently and loosely, starting in the middle; do not stretch. Pinch ends, tuck ends under braid securely.
- Brush with vegetable oil. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place 40-50 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 375°.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water, brush over braid. (This gives it its shine!)
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds, if desired. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.