I came across this recipe in an insert of Rachael Ray’s magazine. Only six ingredients and you look like a rockstar! I usually bake breads with yeast but thought I’d give it a try. It was as simple as a quick bread with the taste of something more. Also, it makes two loaves so I ended up freezing some slices and they came back perfectly! Try it!
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 T. butter, softened
- 4 oz. sharp orange cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease two 5×9″ loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Using your fingers, mix 2 T. butter into the flour mixture until well incorporated (it should look like sand here).
- Add the cheese, toss to coat.
- Add the buttermilk and stir until the dough just comes together.
- Divide between the pans, smooth the tops.
- Cut a shallow cross all the way across the tops of the loaves.
- Thinly slice the remaining 1 T. butter. Place the butter in the cuts in each loaf. (see 3rd photo).
- Bake until the top is browned and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan at least 30 minutes before slicing.