This is a tasty raspberry muffin recipe that adds the flavor of cornmeal to the mix! It’s yummy and has that cornmeal crunch! I used a mixture of fresh raspberries and frozen, but you could do all fresh or all frozen too! It’s okay to mash the fresh raspberries a little if you want a more unified flavor. I sprinkled the tops with Turbinado sugar. A+!
**Vanilla almond milk works well in this recipe!
- 1 And 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Cornmeal
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Orange Zest From One Orange
- 1 Cup fresh raspberries (Can Use Frozen too, but no not thaw them!)
- 1 And 1/4 Cups Almond Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Turbinado sugar, or brown sugar to coat the tops before baking
- Preheat oven to 400F for 15 minutes. Grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Mix together the almond milk and vinegar; set aside for a couple of minutes until it curdles.
- In a large bowl combine together the dry ingredients including the orange zest. Take 2 tablespoons of this mixture and
- combine it with the berries, in a separate bowl. This will avoid the berries from sinking to the bottom of the muffins.
- In another bowl whisk together the curdled milk mixture, oil and vanilla extract.
- Gently fold in the wet ingredients into the dry mixture. Stir in the berries. Do not over mix the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins, about 2/3rds full. I got only 11 muffins for the above measurement.
- Sprinkle some Turbinado or brown sugar on top of the muffins.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let it cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
- These muffins had a very nice texture from the cornmeal. The quantity of sugar mentioned in the original recipe is 1/2, which is what I used and felt that it could use some more sugar. That’s why I have increased the quantity to 3/4th cup in the recipe.
- If using frozen berries, do not thaw it.
- Instead of sprinkling granulated sugar on top of the muffins, using turbinado sugar would give it a much nicer look.