This is a great cake for a lot of company coming. It makes a lot of batter and a lot of cake. I’ve made it twice and I prefer the dusted version above versus the frosting version I made. The dusted version is a lot simpler and the cake was moister. Definitely use an electric mixer for this, it will uniformly beat it to perfection. I used all orange juice, no water. I didn’t do the streusel. Always use room temp. eggs.
- 2/3 cup cocoa, sifted
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened orange juice (or use 3/4 cup each juice and water or 1-1/2 cups water)
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups canola oil or 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set rack to second-lowest position.
- Generously grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan (I use my Pan Release for this, make certain to well-grease your pan!).
- In an extra large mixing bowl, combine all the cake ingredients; mix on medium speed of an electric mixer for about 3 minutes or until very well combined.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes or until the cake tests done (if using the streusal the cake will take slightly longer to bake).
- Cool in pan for about 15-20 minutes before removing.
- Frost or glaze if desired when completely cooled.
Optional STREUSAL; this is only optional and may be sprinkled in the middle of the batter, mix together 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts with 1/4 cup shredded coconut, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder.