This is a really neat recipe. You get that mashed sweet potato flavor with spices, added sweetness (optional), and beautiful golden marshmallows. Next time I will half it for my family of three because it makes a lot (I forgot); it serves about 8 people. The cinnamon and brown sugar are ingredients I added because I thought it’d be better with them. I used about 3 large sweet potatoes, but weigh them please! If you need a great masher that’s easy to clean, look here: OXO Masher. ENJOY!!!
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-in. chunks
- coarse salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk (I used 2%)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg**
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon (optional)**
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (optional)
**Known IC irritants, tread carefully! To make this IC safe, omit the cinnamon and be careful with all spices.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place sweet potatoes in large saucepan or pot, and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Salt generously.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 15-20 minutes.
- Drain, and return to pan.
- Heat over medium, stirring, until liquid has evaporated and a thin film covers the bottom of pain – about 2 mintues.
- Remove pan from heat, add milk, butter, nutmeg, and optional cinnamon and sugar.
- Mash until smooth, season with salt.
- Transfer mixture to a 2-qt. baking dish. (To make ahead, refrigerate up to 1 day).
- Top casserole with marshmallows, bake until center is warmed through and marshmallows are lightly browned, about 15-20 minutes.