This is a wonderful recipe I adapted, it just comes out perfectly and is healthier (even though it’s still a dessert) than a traditional apple pie because it is lacking the caloric crusts. Galas or honey crisp work especially well here. ENJOY!
- 4 cups sliced apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar (You can get away with 3/4 cup here to reduce the sugar; I’ve done it successfully).
- 1/2 stick butter (4 tablespoons)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (You can do a half all-purpose and half whole wheat mixture)
- 1/2 cup quick oats, optional but healthier!
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees F. Grease a 8×8″ to a 10×7″ (approximately) pan. The size doesn’t matter, it just may take longer to cook in a smaller pan. (I used a glass pan).
- Place apples in prepared dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Pour water over the entire thing.
- In a bowl, cream sugar and butter together. You can use a mixer or your clean hands.
- Gently blend in flour and quick oats. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over apples.
- Bake in preheated oven 30-40 minutes until apples are tender and crust is golden. Mine usually takes 40 minutes.