I made this recipe from Damndelicious.net. I had wanted to try a double chocolate muffin but with a hidden health gem – shredded and peeled zucchini – and Greek yogurt. I will make these FOREVER and I mean it. They’re delicious and you’d never even care there’s zucchini in there. Why? Because you can’t taste it! My son and his friend didn’t care, and my son is picky!
The flavor is really unique and deliciously chocolatey.
Her website says they’re only about 195 calories each. There is absolutely no need to add frosting and ruin this. It’s delicious all by itself. I felt zero need for frosting to hide the healthiness. It’s not a cupcake, it’s a healthy muffin that doesn’t taste too “healthy”!
I am so happy I found this recipe – it’s dessert but it’s on the healthy side – WIN!
TIP—-> *I always use unsalted butter for baking and cooking, and add the salt myself on the side (when necessary) to control the salt.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil*
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used Fage 2%, my favorite).
- 2 large eggs (I used Egg-land’s Best cage free eggs).
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (and peeled).
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used 1/2 milk choc. chips and 1/2 semisweet chips).
*Apple sauce can be substituted.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners or coat with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together sugar, vegetable oil, Greek yogurt, eggs, butter and vanilla.
- Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist. Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips. No need to squeeze zucchini dry. Check your oven’s real operating temp, but my convection oven needed about 24-25 minutes for the toothpick to come out clean.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray. Place into oven and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.