I got this great recipe from www.centercutcook.com.
It’s everything I ever wanted from a pretzel and is best warm! Forget about the fancy shapes, this tastes so wonderful! I used only 2 Tablespoons butter and it was more than enough. Eat one quickly, they go fast! ENJOY…..
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
1 cup warm water
1 cup very hot water
2 tablespoons baking soda
Kosher or sea salt
3 tablespoons melted butter
- Pre-heat your oven to 475 degrees.
- In the bowl of your mixer, sift together flour, salt, sugar, and yeast. Add in 1 cup of very warm water and use the dough hook to mix it well. You could also do this by hand or use a food processor.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth. Sprinkle flour in the bottom of a bowl. Place the dough in the bowl and cover it. Allow it to sit for about 30 minutes to rise.
- After 30 minutes, knead the dough for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal sections. Form each section into strips about 8 inches long and about 1 inch wide. Cut each strip into about 6-8 pieces. You should end up with 24-32 pretzel bites.
- In a shallow dish (I used a cake pan), combine the very hot water (I microwaved it for 2 minutes, you could also boil the water on the stovetop) with the baking soda and stir to dissolve. Place the pretzel bites in the water/baking soda mixture and allow to sit for one minute. Then flip the pretzel bites and allow to sit in the mixture for one minute longer.
- Arrange the pretzel bites on a greased baking sheet. Allow the pretzel bites to rest for about 5 minutes, then sprinkle with a bit of kosher or sea salt before baking them for 10-11 minutes, or until the pretzel bites are nice and brown!
- While the pretzel bites are baking, melt 3 tablespoons of butter (1 minute in the microwave).
- When the pretzel bites are done baking, immediately brush each bite with melted butter. Keep brushing the bites with butter until it is all gone. Serve with your favorite dip!