We absolutely loved this slow cooker soup – Dave said it was my best slow cooker soup ever! It’s chock full of healthy veggies, like awesome zucchini, and has the creamy tortellini for a unique flavor. Don’t skimp on the diced tomato can – make sure you get the one that has basil, garlic, and oregano in it for FULL flavor! Instead of the onion, I added more bell pepper and celery. I couldn’t find navy beans in a can so I subbed red kidney beans.
- 1 T. extra-virigin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
- 1 can (15 oz) navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 2 cans (14 oz each) chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 package (9 oz) refrigerated sausage or cheese tortellini pasta (I used frozen cheese tortellini and let it come to room temp).
- 3 T. chopped fresh basil
- Grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add bell pepper, onion, and celery. Cook and stir 4 minutes or until onions are translucent. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes with juice, beans, zucchini, green beans, broth, and garlic powder.
- Cover, cook on low 7 hours, or high 3.5 hours. (Your slow cooker will vary).
- Turn slow cooker to high, add tortellini and cook 20 -25 minutes longer or until pasta is tender.
- Stir in basil. Garnish each serving with cheese.