This is simply put, an amazing cheese bread. I highly recommend it in every way! **During the rising process, I tried something new that worked. I set the oven to 200 and let it preheat. When the bread was ready to rise, I turned off the oven and put the bread in. It worked very well, sped up the time, and didn’t harm the bread!
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 2 T. butter (I used unsalted)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Combine the yeast and milk, stir, and leave for 15 mins. to dissolve.
- Melt the butter, let cool, and add to the yeast mixture.
- Mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture.
- With a wooden spoon, stir from the center, incorporating flour with each turn, to obtain a rough dough. (I DID THIS STEP IN MY STAND MIXER.) If the dough seems too dry, add 2-3 T. water.
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Return to the bowl, cover, and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, 2-3 hours. **I think it took me 1-1.5 hours with my oven trick.
- Grease a 9×5″ loaf pan. Punch down dough to release trapped air with your fist. Knead in the cheese, distributing it as evenly as possible.
- Twist the dough, form into a loaf shape, and place in pan, tucking the ends under. Leave in a warm place until the dough rises above the rim of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Bake for 15 mins, then lower the heat to 375° and bake until the bottom sounds hollow when tapped, about 30 mins. more.
- Cool on rack.