This is an awesome pumpkin pie recipe that I make every year around this time. It’s an eggless version of pumpkin pie with a sweet graham cracker crust. To save time (and money), I buy the crust pre-made. I need to take a new look at the ingredients of the premade crust. Some have cinnamon and I have to avoid that as it’s an irritant. To be really safe you can use a plain dough piecrust.
I let the pie cool at room temp. for about two hours.
Then I put it in the fridge UNCOVERED until serving. If you cover it, even loosely with anything (Saran Wrap, aluminum foil, etc) it will create a very wet condensation on top of the pie that is unsightly but harmless. The longer it chills before being served, the better it tastes! I suggest at least 6 hours, but longer is great too, up to 1-2 days. I highly suggest making this one day before you need it, it will taste much better! After that, you can divide it into pieces and freeze or put in a storage container – but it will have some condensation.
- Graham cracker crust (make it yourself or buy it premade)^, or use a plain premade dough crust
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice mix* (For some this is not safe – see note)
- 1 16-oz can pure, plain pumpkin (about 2 cups)
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk**
- ^Graham cracker crusts can sometimes have cinnamon and other spices.
- **I tried low fat S.C.milk for the first time in a decade, don’t do it. It needs that extra fat and it also helps the “mouth feel” consistency.
- *For pumpkin pie spice, you can use McCormick or a big label, but I’ve had great success with Aldi’s brand. They only sell it seasonally though. ALDI’s canned pure pumpkin cost me $0.79 this year – 2016. Whereas the big store wanted $1.99 for it. (Same ounces and quality!)
*I can no longer use pumpkin pie spice, it’s too irritating for me. So I omit it. Unfortunately, it definitely will have less flavor but is safe. 🙁
- Remove packaging (plastic, paper etc) from graham pie crust or plain dough crust, until you have just the foil pan and the crust inside remaining. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients: brown sugar, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice (if safe for you!), pure pumpkin, and condensed milk. You can use a mixer here but I found that a good whisk will do the job just fine and there’s less to clean.
- With a spoon or whisk, stir until completely mixed.
- Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell; smooth top of pie with spatula.
- Put your filled pie on top of a baking sheet just in case anything spills, but it shouldn’t. Cover edge with pie guard, if desired.
- Bake on middle or top rack for 55-60 minutes until knife/toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack until mostly cool. Then refrigerate for many hours before serving, as the flavor amps up the longer it’s refrigerated! I make it the day before it’s needed and it’s especially good.