ABOVE: With half the cheese on, to show how it’s layered.
What I love about AllRecipes Magazine is that I see recipes I would not have known to seek out. This was one of them. The idea of a meaty/cheesy pie interested me and I especially loved that it was comprised of only five ingredients! I was expecting it to turn out “just okay”, but it stunned us. It tasted like a Chicagoan deep dish pizza! We will assuredly make this at least once a month. I made it with a homemade “quick” pizza dough. Please give this a try!
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with garlic and basil (or Italian seasonings), well drained.
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella (next time I’d double that to be more pizza-y!)
- 3/4 lb. frozen pizza fough, thawed – or homemade.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook and stir beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally and breaking up lumps, until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain beef and return to skillet.
- Add tomatoes and black pepper to beef; bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Scatter mozzarella cheese over the top. Stretch pizza dough over top with your hands, pressing it onto the edge of the pie plate.
- Bake in the preheated oven until crust is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.